IATEFL BESIG- Prague 2013 from hannoudita
The Interference Effects of Arabic &
French Languages
in Learning Business English at
University
2013 IATEFL BESIG Prague Conference
hanadym@hotmail.com
www.hanadimirza.blogspot.com
Abstract
(45 min Workshop)
BESIG blogroll: Teacher Training Blog
The results of various studies showed that there is a
controversy in considering whether L1 language affects negatively the
acquisition of a second language. Students living in Lebanon acquire Arabic as
a mother tongue and many learn French as a second language. French educated
students go to schools where French is the language of instruction and learn
English as a third language. At the university level, many of these students
come to class with an insufficient knowledge of English in general and no background
in Business English in particular.
This workshop will discuss
how teachers can benefit from the
negative and positive interference effects of both Arabic and French languages
to improve the English proficiency of students regarding pronunciation, prepositions,
grammar (tenses), and email writing in Business English classes.
------------
How Do Students LEARN Business English? Rote vs. Meaningful
Learning
1. Pronunciationà Simplified Phonetics
- Answer [àn sr] Phonetics Online
- Dollars [dà lrz] Electronic Reader
- Brochure [broshour] Mobile reader
- Hotel [hotelle] Work [weurk]
- Although [ol ﺫ ó] Thank You [ث ank]
- Language, job [dj] NO (ج ) These [يز ﺫ]
2. Prepositions
On – above- under – near – next to – behind – in front of
A: How can I get to Ms. Webb’s office please?
B: Get out of the class. Turn right. Go down the stairs. Turn
left. It’s the 3rd office on the right.
3. Tenses
Past Present Future
------------------------------------------------------/------------/-------------------------------------------------à
|
Verb
|
Time (S /N )
|
X / …
|
|
1.
2.
3.
4.
|
|
|
Present Simple, Past Simple, &
Present Perfect
I. Put the verb in brackets into the correct form of present
or past simple.
A: (1)…………….. (you have) a good flight?
B: Yes, it (2) ……………..(be) a good flight, but I (3) …………….(like)
the food.
A: (4)… ………….. you visit this country often?
B : No, I usually (5) …………….. (come) here about once a year,
but last year I (6) …………… (come) four times, because we (7) ……………..(open) two
new offices here.
A: Where
(8)…………….. (you open) the new offices?
B: In Nice and Marseille.
It’s hot today!
The Interference Effects of Arabic &
French Languages
In Learning Business English at
University
II. Choose the correct word or phrase to complete these
conversations.
1. A: Did / Have they visited our factory before?
A: When did / have they come?
B: They come / came in 2002.
2. A: Has she saw / seen the presentation?
A: Has / Did she like it?
3. A: Did you heard / hear the
news about Alex yesterday?
III. Complete these sentences from 2
Listening.
Clod: ……….…… (be) here before?
Michel: yes, well, ……….……
(be) to France before.
Clod: Oh, really? When ……….…… (be)
hat?
Michel: Er, in 2003, I ……….……(come)
for the National Conference in Toulouse.
Clod: Oh, yes, I ……….……
(go) to that.
Michel: But I ……….……
(be) to Lyons before.
4. Email Writing
a. Writing sentences & questions à Introduce Your Friend
SVO à French/English VSO à Arabic
Problem: Students write in English the way
they speak in Arabic.
b. Deducing email format
c. Writing emails
Dear Mr. Wiles,
I am writing to you regarding the order which you placed on
28 June.
I am very sorry that EQ Supplies made mistakes in the
processing of your order.
Firstly, you placed your order with us at 10am on 28 June.
Unfortunately, we had a problem with our computer system that afternoon, and we
lost all our records of orders that day, including yours, until 30 June. For
this reason, there was a delay in processing your order.
Secondly, the orders administrator who took your order didn’t
enter the correct information on the system, and so we delivered the wrong
goods to you.
We are very sorry for the problems, and we would like to
offer you a discount of 10% on your next order.
Yours sincerely,
Patricia Noakes
Hanadi MIRZA
hanadym@hotmail.com
www.hanadimirza.blogspot.com
BESIG blogroll: Teacher Training Blog
Good school is very important for students for better education.Thanks for sharing this info.
ReplyDeleteIB Curriculum
Actually I read it yesterday but I had some thoughts about it and today I wanted to read it again because it is very well written. تعليم اللغة الانجليزية
ReplyDelete